They bond to the person of their choice telepathically for life, like Companions, but multiple birds may join to a single person, unlike Companions, especially those derived from corvids. Birds may either choose to live wild or bond-- most choose to bond.
"The raptors had been given increased intelligence and curiosity, the ability to speak mind-to-mind with humans, and the ability to flock-bond to each other and the humans who raised them. To compensate for the increased mass of brain tissue, and to make them more effective as fighting partners, they were larger than their wild counterparts." (The Black Gryphon, Chapter Eight)At the time of the Sundering of the Clans, the bondbirds were considered to be 'unfinished,' unlike the battlesteeds. The Tayledras continue to perfect them into the modern-day.
Bondbirds are mostly derived from raptors, and specially bred by the Tayledras. As a result, bondbirds bond only with those members of Tayledras clans or one who has been fully adopted into one. The Tayledras will select a type of raptor/bird they wish to cultivate, and then work from there, using magic to build up factors such as size, intelligence, etc.
Unlike their raptor counterparts, bondbirds are much larger-from 3 up to 10 times so. They are also much smarter and are capable of cooperation-birds of different species that would kill each other in the wild get along well and even play together.
List of bondbird speciesEdit
- Forest gyre (falcon)
- Red-shouldered hawk
- Crested Hawk-Eagle
- Short-Eared Eagle Owl
- Screech Owl
- Snowy Owl
- Crested Firebird - As of the present, Firesong's Aya is the only example of this type. They are a new variety.
Bondbird characters Edit
Some notable bondbirds include:
- Asheena - gyrefalcon; bonded to Starwind k'Treva
- Aya - crested firebird; bonded to Firesong k'Treva
- Corwith - owl; bonded to Wintermoon k'Sheyna
- Hyllarr - crested hawk-eagle; bonded to Starblade k'Sheyna
- K'Tathi - owl; bonded to Wintermoon k'Sheyna
- Kyrr - red-shouldered hawk; bonded to Dawnfire k'Sheyna
- Vree - falcon; bonded to Darkwind k'Sheyna
Additional bondbirds can be found here: Category:Bondbirds